Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 Reading Resolutions

I'm a bit in shock that it's already 2016, but I'm hoping for a productive, happy, and healthy year!

Without further ado, my 2016 Reading Resolutions:

1. Read at least 365 books (again!). 
I considered making this goal 465. No, I'm not a crazy person! But I thought it might be fun to focus on reading a picture book a day, then also commit to reading 100 novels, for a total of 465 books. Then I thought 100 novels wasn't a high enough goal... But a Goodreads challenge goal of 500 seemed enormous... So I decided I was really overthinking it and that I should just stick with 365. (True Story.)
2. Read more board books.
I read tons of picture books, but I don't often take the time to read board books. Too often, I judge them based on how cute the cover illustration is... which means that I, essentially, know nothing about that book! So I'm going to take the time to actually read and learn more about board books as a format and medium.
3. Review/Blurb More Books.
In 2015 I wrote very few reviews and less blurbs than in previous years. My problem is that I often waited too long before sitting down to write the review, when I was distanced from the story and characters... and already in the midst of a new book. This year, I need to take a few moments during or immediately following a book to jot down notes and feelings to refer to later. Hopefully this will help!
4. Read at least one backlist title per month.
Even though I'm a bookseller and blogger - so reading kind of IS my job - I try to act like it isn't... if that makes sense. I never want to feel like reading is an obligation or something I have to do, so I'm as flexible as possible in my reading. I never force myself to finish a book I truly dislike (and I don't feel guilty at all). I hop between age levels and genres. I rarely promise a review or coverage. 

But I do find myself reading primarily frontlist titles, reading ahead for store buying, committees, and providing blurbs... Which means that I don't read much backlist, even though they're are tons of older book that I'd looooove to read. So, in 2016, I'm making a point to read AT LEAST one backlist title per month, just because I want to! 

I'd love to hear about your 2016 Reading Goals too! Share a link or list in the comments. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!