Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Covered: Hardcover to Paperback Redesigns (2)

Check out these Hardcover to Paperback Redesigns. Which do you prefer?


 A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller

I adored the hardcover version of A Mad, Wicked Folly, but I actually think the paperback cover is more fitting. Either way I love this book and urge you to read it if you missed it last year!


 
A Time to Dance by Padma Venkatraman

At first glace, I liked the paperback version better, but I think that was just my love of purple taking over. After more careful consideration, I think the original cover is more striking. I prefer the title treatment of the hardcover and I think the dancer is more prominent. On the paperback cover, the dancer isn't as vibrant for some reason...


Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith

Sheesh... this is a hard one. You can't deny that the original cover of Grasshopper Jungle has star power. It's bright green yet super simple, plus the pages were highlighter yellow. It's impossible to ignore that cover. But I really dig this new version. I like both, but, in the end, I'm glad that the paperback is different. It mixes things up and makes my hardcover version feel special.


Like No Other by Una LaMarche

This is an example of a paperback cover that seems like it would to a different demographic than the hardcover. The paperback cover has a contemporary YA romance vibe, in my opinion... and it feels younger for some reason. I think I prefer the hardcover version, though I appreciate that the paperback will likely broaden the appeal.


Dissonance by Erica O'Rourke

I'll be honest - I don't really love either of these. Granted, I haven't read the book yet, so maybe one of them is really fitting and I'm just out of the loop. If forced to choose, I'd go with the paperback.


Killer Instinct by S.E. Green

No... just, no. I really, seriously, passionately dislike the new paperback cover. It just feels super cheesy. I don't necessarily love the hardcover version either, but it was much, much better than this new cover design.


The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer

Awww, I loved this book and I love both of these covers too. I think the paperback version has one me over though... I'm love the typography choices. I think this new cover pops in a way the hardcover didn't


The End or Something Like That by Ann Dee Ellis

While I don't hate the paperback cover, I do prefer the hardcover. The hardcover is cute and it would (and has) prompted me to flip open the cover and read the description. With the paperback, I don't like that the title is so spread out. And I have to remind myself to include the "or" because it's easy to overlook on the ladder like that.


Popular: A Memoir by Maya Van Wagenen

Another hard one... I love the concept of the hardcover, but I like the tagline on the paperback. In the end, the tagline wins me over, so I prefer the paperback of Popular.


Call Me By My Name by John Ed Bradley

This hardcover of Call Me By My Name is entirely too busy, in my opinion. I much prefer the paperback version, especially the color choices!


Chantress Trilogy by Amy Butler Greenfield

I really liked the hardcover version of Chantress, but disliked the Chantress Alchemy design, so I'm happy to see this trilogy get a makeover. I would prefer a design that didn't show a model's face, but these new paperback covers are quite pretty and whimsical. In the end, I'm happy for the redesign.

Tell me which covers you prefer in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. I'm happy with the Chantress Trilogy redesign too. They have a softness that I love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Dissonance, the paper stars are relevant to the story. I can see why people wouldn't love it, but I saw the new cover after I read the book and loved it. I highly recommend it. It's sssssoooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? Okay, I need to find my copy. I'm pretty sure I have it somewhere and you're passionate recommendation makes me feel like I'm missing out. Plus, I want to see how the paper stars tie in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, Kaitlin! The others were kind of... abrasive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do it!!!! You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like either covers of Grasshopper Jungle, but you are right that the green cover has more star power. It's in your face, saying check me out! I agree that the left cover of A Time to Dance is more visually striking, too. On Call Me by Name I prefer the blue cover with the close-up. I wouldn't give the other cover the time of day in a bookstore. The makeovers of the Chantress covers are much improved. I like the paperback cover of Popular but I really, really want to like the hardcover. It just isn't executed well. Wow, as I'm writing this I realize we've got a lot of the same thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the UK cover of Dissonance, it trumps the other 2 in my opinion. I love all the Chantress covers. I don't own any of them, so it's going to be difficult for me to choose which to go with.

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!