Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Review: The Edge of Falling by Rebecca Serle











Title: The Edge of Falling
Author: Rebecca Serle
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub. Date: March 18, 2014
Genre: Young Adult
Rec. Age Level: 14+

Add to Goodreads
 
Caggie lives every day haunted by her failure to save her little sister from drowning. Even though no one ever says it, Caggie knows that her parents blame her just as much as she blames herself. Everyone at school thinks she's a hero after saving a classmate from plummeting to her death at the beginning of summer, but only Caggie - and the girl she saved - knows what really happened on the rooftop ledge. Caggie has formed a wall of secrets and lies to keep everyone at arm's length, including her best friend, who keeps pushing her to move forward, and her ex-boyfriend, who can't seem to understand that Caggie isn't the girl she used to be anymore. Then new boy Astor enters Caggie's life and he seems to understand the darkness that threatens to overwhelm her every day and, best of all, he doesn't push her to talk about what happened or to move forward. But Astor has secrets of his own and his demons might be hungry enough to swallow both of them... dead or alive.

Last year I read and very much enjoyed Rebecca Serles' debut novel, When You were Mine, but I must admit that it pales in comparison to The Edge of Falling. Caggie's story of grief and guilt is remarkably powerful and painfully captivating. It begins slowly but builds with a steady intensity that leaves the reader completely invested in Caggie and her search for meaning and redemption in the aftermath of her sister's death.

6 comments:

  1. I love this cover and I am glad you enjoyed this one!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've finally read and I totally love it. It was really powerful and captivating. Rebecca Serle definitively have a good way with words. Even if I didn't experience some hard times like Caggie, I felt all her emotions, her feelings during my reading. I was even sad. Now I can't wait for Famous in Love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, this sounds pretty sweet. I've seen that cover around a bit but never looked into it! Painful books are the death of me, though. Seriously. I get WAY too involved in the characters' lives...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Missie! Although, if you're afraid of heights, this cover might make you squeamish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to FAMOUS IN LOVE too, Melissa! That one looks like maybe it won't be as emotionally heavy as this one, but Serle's books always have lots of depth to them, so I could be wrong! I'm so happy you loved this one too. It seriously makes me happy to hear someone else loved this one. And I think actually actually shed a few tears while reading this one... I'm getting all weepy just thinking about some of the things that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is quite painful in parts, but so, so worth it, Cait! I think you should read it... Yes, definitely read it!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!